Monday 8 February 2016

Connecting Essay 3


This image is by photographer Francesca Woodman. Whilst it does not make it clear that the girl in the mirror is also the girl holding it, that we can safely assume that it is due to the girls skin tone and her outfit. I like how the girl is facing the other way and appears to be covering her face as we cannot see her arms/hands, as it implies that she is hiding and connotes mystery in the image. I think that the fact that the girl is clearly standing quite a distance away from the mirror is very capturing as it therefore meant that she did not line up perfectly in the mirror.


Using Photoshop and two separate images, I edited in the top portion of my model into the mirror as I though this created quite a surreal effect. I decided to do this as I though it would look quite eye-catching and was a good example of image manipulation as she is holding the mirror but, at the same time, looks as though she is looking into it.

Both images use image manipulation to edit the model into the mirror that they are holding. I really like this technique as it is quite surreal and really draws the viewer in due to how different it is. Also, both images have the model hold the mirror from the waist up, showing the top half of their body in the mirror. Whilst they both use the same technique, they are quite different images.

The first difference between these images is the way that the model is standing in the image. In the first, she is facing way from the mirror and appears to be slightly leant forward and covering her face. In my image, the model is standing up straight and looking right into the camera. Another difference is that the first image is black and white, adding an air of mystery, whilst my image has a pop of colour with the girls top, making it stand out more. A further difference is that the first image was shot in a field setting whilst mine was in a studio.

1 comment: